Friday, December 4, 2009

I've got a deal for you

Nice suit, said my friend Ewan. Where did you get it? It was red silk. The jacket with Chinese frog buttons, the material artfully crumpled, wrinkled on purpose. In Virginia, I said. Oh, then you paid too much for it. I could show you where to get it half price. Ewan was not wearing a red silk suit. In fact, his outfit was so non-descript I have no recollection of it whatsoever. What does he know about the niceties of women’s fashion? Does he know, for example, that this season, straps with buckles across the foot are very important for boots. That sunny yellow is in, and fluorescent turquoise is so out it must be expunged from the wardrobe. And, he hasn’t shut up about it yet. In China, I know the markets where to go, blah, blah, blah. Ewan is not Chinese, mind you. Nevertheless, he later offers the tip that the best way to get to Budapest is to fly into Vienna and take a river cruise down the Danube. For that tidbit, all is forgiven.

No comments:

Post a Comment