Monday, December 14, 2009

On Duckness

Once at a big industry confab, hundreds of people – seekers and the sought after – I met a Congressman. Unusually, he seemed willing to talk to me. I was eager, it would be a professional advance for me to say I had established a common substantive issue relationship with a member of Congress. Toward the end it became apparent he was a former Congressman, now turned consultant. I turned heel and left.

Years ago, I was a staff on the Hill, schooled in foreign policy, but not that well-traveled, a prerequisite for credibility in this field. A friend of my boss said he knew an outfit that was putting together a trip to India, would I be interested, I would be a perfect addition to the delegation. Thrilled, I was helpfully, I kept in touch. Then November came, my boss lost his seat. I called, no return call. I called again, I didn’t exist.

A few weeks ago, some colleagues were briefing one of our senior officials whose term ahs expired and is biding time while someone can be appointed to fill her place. We had always enjoyed working with her and my colleagues’ natural reaction in this instance was to be helpful as possible But bosses more senior than us had other instructions. We could not help her at all. She could prepare with her own personal staff only. The doors slam shut and the ducks waddle off into the sunset.

No comments:

Post a Comment