Friday, November 13, 2009

When I was about 25

When I was about 25, I went to my first international government meeting, one where Seniority Counts. All I aimed to do was listen, make a few friends, and break bread with as many delegations as possible, I thoroughly enjoyed the meeting and as the meeting closed I looked looking forward to being able to report that the affairs were collegial, our relationship with other countries good. Then, we reached the final session of the plenary meeting, convening all delegates for a last goodbye. As we got started, a mid-level official, at least twenty years older than me, quietly approached. There was to be a seminar held in his country, he had been organizing all the necessary approvals and wanted it announced at the final session. My agency had supported the seminar but had little to do with its preparation, yet he wanted to me to make the report. I demurred, should not he, the leading official of the host country undertaking all the work, break the good news and invite everyone to a rollicking good time? No, he pointed out. If the U.S. makes the report, he said, then everyone will listen. I did it. His seminar was a success. But, had my week been?

No comments:

Post a Comment