Saturday, April 2, 2011

Model T's still on the road

At the National Archives (where the Declaration of Independence) is kept, I had lunch with a fellow from Social Security. (In Washington, when we say this, we mean he works for Social Security, not that he's drawing social security...) He had colleagues who worked on mainframe computers running on Cobalt and C. He was new to the government and was shocked. Actually, in my office, I discovered a team of engineers working on a system written in Fortran. My mother learned Fortran when she was in graduate school. There is another system, that manages data I rely on, which is written in Pascal. I studied Pascal in high school. The Cobalt system seems stuck in the mud, no movement to change it up. The Pascal system is now in transition, soon to emerge into the 21st century. The Fortran system is now recently listed for updating. Fingers crossed.

No comments:

Post a Comment