Saturday, May 1, 2010

An elegant bean

Ellsworth Kelly’s portrait of a beanstalk is composed of single lines of pencil. The stalk hangs in mid-space, suspended in garden fresh air. The leaves are thick at the ground, thinner at the top. Each leaf is just a slip of vegetation, triangular, pulled both by gravity downward the earth and upward the sun. The figure is simultaneously monumental – stretching past my own tallness to the ceiling – and light – transparent, unladen with shadow or shading or color.

2 comments:

  1. I love that drawing!! I saw it on one whirlwind day through the museums on the mall. I waxed on about its loveliness to my family, but when I went back to show them, couldn't find it, and the docents at the NGA were NO help at all... Can you please tell me where it is?!?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The drawing was part of the Meyerhoff collection which was donated to the National Gallery. The exhibit closed in early May 2010. There's a catalog of the exhibit, and still some info is available at http://www.nga.gov/exhibitions/meyerhoffinfo.shtm

    ReplyDelete