Saturday, April 10, 2010

Trading favors

International organizations (IO) are endless warrens of subcommittees. Between heads of state, the US-UK relationship is all warmth and richness. Both affinities and tensions, however, play out deep in the bureaucracy. The UK approached at the top of the meeting. Would I support him regarding two agenda items inexpertly handled by the IO? Yes, my home capital had also been annoyed. On a third item, I stood alone in my objection, arguing too much interference in national affairs. At the coffee, the UK expressed regret that my agency head had cancelled at the very last minute an important conference by London. The cancellation had been too late to avoid hotel and airline charges. All I could do was apologize. No wonder I was alone on the third. Until at a side meeting, the UK joins on the third item, quietly. On Day 2, item 2 is up. UK and I guess France may be with us. Turns out France has not read the paper, has no idea of what is going on. When the meeting opens, after a few friendly interventions, I against, then the UK against, and then, France against, just. In the evening, I approach Japan and Korea and encourage them to contribute to provide balance to the European-centered discussion. The US, both a Pacific as well as an Atlantic power.

No comments:

Post a Comment